Get-Happy Ginger Cookies (Easy, Gluten-Free & Plant-Based!)
Life doesn't have to be about worrying about calories or carbs. When you choose to eat real, whole, mostly plant-based foods, knowing what food is "allowed" is easy, and comes with a lot of benefits!
Apples have been shown to help lower cholesterol, reduce intestinal disorders, balance blood sugar, and more. Coconut oil has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties, as does raw honey - which is also great for seasonal allergies! Chia is a powerhouse of antioxidants, calcium, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. Ginger is wonderful for nausea, GI upset and pain relief.
Who knew a cookie could pack such a nutritional punch? Now that's something to be happy about!
Get-Happy Ginger Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sucanat or substitute coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup raw honey or substitute maple syrup
- 1 chia egg
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make 1 chia egg, mix 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds + 1/4 cup warm water. Mix together and set aside to gel for about ten minutes before use.
- Cream together applesauce, coconut oil, sucanat, and raw honey. Mix in chia egg and molasses. Add fresh ginger, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Slowly mix in flours. (Note that it will remain quite moist.)
- Spoon cookies onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake 14-15 minutes.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.