You'll Fall In Love With This Wild Rice & Spinach Soup
Nothing warms the heart (and body) like a nice, good-for-you soup! This recipe hits the spot on a warm or chilly day. Next time you're looking for a healthy soup for lunch or dinner, make sure you give this one a try.
Wild Rice and Spinach Soup
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 (16 oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, organic if possible
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups spinach, torn (stems removed)
- 2 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Wild rice: cook rice according to package directions.
Soup: In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute, or until onions are translucent. Add 3 cups water, carrots, celery, basil, oregano, chicken broth and diced tomato.
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.
Add cooked rice, spinach, salt and pepper, and simmer for additional three minutes.
Recipe adapted with permission from Healthy You! 14 Days to Quick and Permanent Weight Loss and a Healthier, Happier You.