Creamy Carrot, Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
Step aside, French onion soup and au revoir, buttery bisque! This creamy soup with lentil topping is a great meal during this season of transition from colder to warmer weather or, depending on where you are, from warmer to colder weather.
The soup is a great way to detox since it's easy to digest and packed with nutrients, especially beta-carotene, that will have your skin glowing. The lentil-walnut topping lightens the dish and adds protein and fiber to turn it into a hearty meal. Lentils are packed with folic acid and protein and the walnuts add an omega-3 boost, making this a great energy-boosting meal, but also comfort food thanks to the sweet potato and creaminess of the soup. It's half-salad, half-soup and all delicious.
This is an easy make-ahead meal to serve to a crowd or keep leftovers for yourself and enjoy the next day. Bon appétit!
Creamy Carrot-Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
For the soup
- 2 large carrots
- 1 sweet potato, diced (around 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 leek
- a piece of fresh ginger, to taste
- a pinch of cinnamon
- ½ cup of coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 cup of water (or more, depending on the size of your sauce pan — enough to cover the vegetables.)
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- a few spits of herbs such as parsley or cilantro
- drizzle of walnut oil
- salt + pepper to taste
For the lentil topping (optional)
- ½ cup of French / "Du Puy" /green lentils, cooked
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or ½ Tbsp of olive oil and ½ Tbsp of walnut oil)
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- A pinch of each of (or as many as you have or like of) the following spices: coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, sea salt, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom)
1. Add onion, garlic, ginger and leeks to a sautée pan on medium heat with coconut oil. Sautée for a few minutes or until the onions are translucent.
2. Peel and chop carrot and sweet potato into 1-inch chunks. Add to pan and sauté for another few minutes. Add spices. Cover vegetables with water. Lower heat, cover and let simmer until the veggies are soft. Add to a blender (preferably a Vitamix for the creamiest texture imaginable!) or mix with an immersion blender until smooth. Add coconut or almond milk and stir.
3. For the lentil-walnut topping (optional): Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Pour over lentils and mix well.
4. To serve. Warm soup over the stove. (The soup should be thick so it can hold the lentil topping). Pour into a bowl, top with lentil mixture and toasted walnuts. Add garnish.
Rebecca Leffler's new book "Green, Glam & Gourmande" is available here.