These Cocoa-Almond Breakfast Cookies Are Vegan & Gluten Free
Take a look at that triple chocolate, brown butter-infused cookie in the window. You know, the one that’s sitting next to the streusel coffee cake muffin? Yeah that one…to the left of the cronut. Nothing says breakfast like a sugar rush, right?!
Wrong. Breakfast on the go is tricky. While it’s convenient to grab a pastry or baked good, the insulin spike followed by the inevitable sugar crash isn't the best way to fuel your day.
Enter these one-size-fits-all vegan, gluten-free, protein-packed breakfast cookies! These cookies are easy to throw together, freeze well, and are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack on the go. You can make them with any nuts you want, or substitute your favor natural jam for cocoa-almond spread.
Cocoa - Almond Thumbprint Breakfast Cookies
Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 cup gluten-free oats
- ¾ - 1 cup almond flour (or almond meal)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon, optional
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup heaping almond butter, melted
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- dash of vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa-almond spread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the whole, raw almonds to a food processor. Process until the nuts are in small pieces. Combine the oats, ½ c. almond flour, and crushed almonds in a bowl with the salt and cinnamon.
- Melt the coconut oil and almond butter on the stove or in the microwave. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well. If the mixture seems too wet, add the remaining almond flour.
- Using your hands, form 1.5 inch balls with the dough. Make sure to really squeeze the dough together so the cookies don’t fall apart when you make a thumbprint in them. Let the balls sit for 5-10 minutes to help them set.
- Using your thumb, press into the center of the cookie to create a well for the chocolate spread. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops start to turn brown.
- When the cookies are completely cool, add ½ tsp. chocolate spread into each well.
- Enjoy with your morning coffee, afternoon tea, or any time you need a powerful, sweet energy boost!
- If freezing, put the cookies in the freezer without any chocolate spread, and add it whenever you take them out.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.