The bright, super fresh flavors of this green salad will put an end to your winter blues in no time. Crunchy romaine, cool cucumber, creamy avocado, and bright mint and red onion join forces on your plate to wake up your taste buds and give your body a boost of vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. The tangy tahini dressing, loaded with zesty lemon juice and garlic, also tastes delicious poured over warm roasted vegetables, fish, or as a refreshing dip for a crudités platter at your next get-together.
Supergreens Salad With Creamy Avocado & Tahini Dressing
Serves 4 as a main, or 6 as a side
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into thin half moons
- 2/3 red onion, thinly sliced into thin half moons
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
Tangy Tahini Dressing
Makes about 1 ½ cups
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced or grated
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
1. In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding a bit more lemon juice if needed.
2. Before you chop your salad ingredients, add a pinch of salt to your red onions, and massage them with your hands until they soften a bit. This will mellow their flavor.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber. Drain the red onion of any liquid that it released.
4. Distribute the salad evenly between four shallow bowls, and top with the red onion and avocado.
5. At the table, pour over your tahini dressing and sprinkle over your hemp seeds and mint as desired.