Chia seeds are great to include in your diet any time of year, but in winter they can be used to make a delicious, nutritious porridge that's easy to make and gluten-free.
Chia seeds are loaded with insoluble fiber and healthy fats, making them wonderful immune boosters. They’re also very high in omega-3 fatty acids, helping us with mood and seasonal depression. Chia seeds also contain many minerals, including manganese, phosphorous and calcium. Filled with protein, chia seeds help stabilize blood sugar and leaving you feeling fuller longer.
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk (or use water if your prefer)
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil•pinch of sea salt
- pinch of spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg
- ½ cup – any combination of goji berries, cranberries, raisins or banana
- 1 Tbsp. of raw cocoa
- ½ cup of raw nuts such as almonds or walnuts
- 1 ½ - 2 cups soaked chia seeds
- Fresh berry topping of your choice
Soak your chia seeds in a glass jar for at least 20 minutes before use. (You can leave chia seeds in water in the refrigerator for several days so they can be easily added to smoothies or have ready for porridge.)
In a medium saucepan combine milk or water, and chia seeds and warm over a low heat. Add in raw nuts and continue stirring for about 10 minutes.
Add in raw cocoa, coconut oil, salt, berries and spices. Warm slowly over a low heat for and additional 5-10 minutes.
Top with maple syrup or sweetener of your choice.
Serve with a cup of herbal tea and enjoy!