What ails you, baby? Is it lack of energy? Allergies? Weight gain? Premature aging? Mood swings? Chronic disease? Well then let’s talk about your gut.
At least 85% of the time, imbalance in the gut is a prime factor in why I've been blessed with so many clients!
What’s gut got to do with it?
Did you know that every single cell in your body is affected by the gut? It's king when it comes to ruling your overall health. We live in a toxic world and the gut loves to hold on to toxins.
Picture your gut as the protective older brother: it tries to shield you from the bad stuff by absorbing the bad stuff itself. No matter where you're absorbing toxins—whether it be from food, from the unfiltered water in your shower, from the air you’re breathing—the gut will get hit with them hard.
Don’t you want to show your gut some gratitude by taking care of it? A focus on gut health eliminates disease at the root and plants the absolutely necessary foundation for a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
A strong probiotic is a great place to start and incredibly important, but it’s also really important to eat probiotic-rich foods. (And no, I’m not talking about those dairy and sugar packed yogurt products that marketing teams have convinced us are probiotic-rich foods!) Traditional yogurt is definitely not a health food and even the non-dairy alternatives are packed with sugar and little-to-no nutrients.
I’m a massive kefir fan because I believe you can’t get enough fermented foods in your diet. Fermented foods load your gut with good bacteria, fighting off disease and helping all the systems in your body function optimally. Fermented foods are absolute superfoods and should be a daily part of every diet.
This coconut kefir yogurt is a total powerhouse recipe in my book. It boasts the following benefits:
- It's probiotic-rich: The extra dose of probiotics will leave your gut loaded with beneficial bacteria that will have a dynamic effect on your digestive system.
- It's high in protein: The coconut meat is packed with protein to keep you satiated longer.
- It's dairy free: Skipping the dairy will help you avoid feeling gassy and bloated throughout the day.
- It's sugar free: This recipe has no sugar added but still has a sweet, tangy taste. You won’t crash and feel hungry an hour after eating it.
- It couldn’t be easier to make! I have eaten it almost every day for over a year and I still crave it daily. I top it with my homemade gluten-free granola but you could also just toss on some crushed sprouted nuts or fresh berries.
- 16 oz coconut meat (if frozen, thawed)
- 1 T coconut kefir (I like Tonix)
- 1 capsule dairy free probiotic (I use Garden of Life 100 billion)
- Juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- Juice of 1 freshly squeezed lime
- Half cup raw coconut water
Blend all ingredients in your Vitamix or blender until creamy and smooth.
Pour into a glass jar or glass and cover with cheesecloth or other breathable fabric and secure with a rubber band. Leave out at room temperature overnight (I leave mine for 12 hours) and then refrigerate and enjoy!
Note: the yogurt should be creamy and have the consistency of a normal yogurt. If it looks chunky after sitting out overnight, put it back in the blender until it gets creamy.
In a time when cleansing is the total craze there are so many elements, it’s hard to know how to do it right. This recipe is one major step in the right direction. I’m currently offering downloads of my top 10 cleansing tips and a day of cleansing recipes for free on my website. Start your cleansing lifestyle TODAY!