Grain-Free, Omega-Rich Flaxseed Bread Recipe
For all the grain-free, low-carb or Paleo folks out there, this is a great flaxseed bread recipe to explore. I've combined many of the elements of other recipes and added my own tips to get a better rise and texture from what can be a difficult task: creating a yummy gluten-free bread.
Why did I opt for a purely flaxseed-based bread?
- Higher in fiber than almond or coconut bread
- Lower in calories than your heavy nut flours
- Contains your daily dose of omega-3s
- Economical, as flaxseeds are cheaper than other nut flours out there
- Abundant in lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
I make mine mostly in my bread machine on the quick setting, with light crust option. This works for me mainly because it’s easier than watching the oven, and means less dirty dishes. That said, I've tested this recipe in the oven, and it works well too.
Feel free to explore. I like to sprinkle mine with sesame seeds! Sometimes I add 2 tablespoons of maca powder for an extra nutrient boost. If you're not too carb conscious, add some chopped raisins or currants, too.
- 2 cups golden ground flax
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 Tbsp coconut palm sugar or erythritol
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp psyllium husks
- 5 egg whites + 2 yolks
- 5 Tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lukewarm filtered water
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, apart from the cream of tartar.
Melt your coconut oil in a pan on medium heat, put aside.
Separate the egg whites into a mixing bowl, along with the cream of tartar and whisk till fluffy peaks form.
Add two egg yolks, water, melted coconut oil and egg whites to the dry mixture and mix well.
Scoop into a non-stick medium loaf bread pan 7.5″ x 3.5″
Bake on 350 F for 60 minutes (ovens vary, so keep an eye on it).
If you're making this recipe in a bread machine:
Add the liquids first.
Whisk your egg whites for a better rise.
Use the quick setting with light or medium crust, 2-pound loaf setting.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.