The Journaling Ritual That Will Change Your Life In One Page Flat
Discovering and living out your purpose can be one of the most satisfying things in life. Often, our purpose can shift and evolve over time, but knowing what direction we’re meant to be following in the present moment can be greatly rewarding.
Living your purpose leads to a sense of satisfaction and contentment and allows you to fully express who you are. Our purpose can be lived out through our businesses, hobbies, and relationships. When you don’t know your purpose, it can feel like you're going through life on autopilot. You might keep yourself busy with work, relationships, and social activities, but underneath the surface, you probably know there's something missing.
When I was younger, I spent years trying to figure out my purpose. I’d read book after book, constantly trying to figure out what I was meant to be doing with my life. The act of seeking answers outside of myself left me feeling anxious, worried about my future, and often depressed. I started to feel like everyone else was out there living their dreams while I was roaming aimlessly through life.
After doing a lot inner work and connecting to my intuition, I realized all the answers already lived inside of me and I could access them by connecting with my Higher Self (or Divine Self) whenever I wanted to. One of the things that can help us travel within and get in touch with our Higher Self is to create simple rituals—routines that enable us to take an ordinary moment in time and give it special meaning.
Even the simple act of lighting a candle and setting the intention that we’re going to create magic allows a potent internal shift to take place.
A ritual to discover your life's purpose.
- 1 white candle to represent your Higher Self/Source Energy
- 1 purple candle to represent your intuition
- 1 piece of clear quartz to help activate your crown chakra and connect with the Divine
- Your journal or something to record your answers in
1. Set aside 20 to 30 minutes for this ritual, and find a quiet place where you’ll be undisturbed. To add to this ritual, you can have a cleansing bath or shower beforehand to get you into a relaxed state. Burning incense, lighting some candles, and playing music can also set the mood. The main thing is to remember that you’re stepping out of your regular world for a few moments and entering a purely sacred place.
2. When you’re ready to begin the ritual, light both candles and place the clear quartz between them to call in more clarity as you receive the messages you need to hear.
3. Visualize a golden white light coming from above and going directly into the top of your head. Imagine this light filling your entire body with Divine love and knowledge.
4. Grab your journal and write at the top of the page "If I knew what my life purpose was, it would be…" and then write out the first thing that comes to mind.
5. Continue answering this question 20 to 30 more times. Answering the question multiple times will help you break through to the deeper answers your conscious mind might be hiding. Sometimes the first thing that comes to mind is exactly what you need to hear, but it often takes a while to cut through the noise. By writing out your answer multiple times, you’ll be able to go deeper, get past the "shoulds" and tap into your core purpose.
6. When you hit an answer that incites an emotional or physical response (you might tear up or cry, notice the hairs on the back of your neck tingle, or feel butterflies in your stomach), you’ll know you’ve received an answer to explore further. It’s all right if you get more than one answer that feels right. People often have more than one purpose, and if you go deep enough, there’s probably an underlying theme that connects them.
7. When you’re finished, blow out the candles and take a moment to appreciate the deep connection you’ve just made with yourself and the Universe.
If you don’t come up with answers that feel 100 percent right, take a break for a day or two and then repeat the ritual. The more you sit quietly, go within, and actually get your ideas out on paper, the more clear things will become. Once you have an answer (or answers) to your question, the best way to figure out if that’s what your purpose is, is to start acting on it. It’s through action that you’ll gain even more clarity and dive deeper into your purpose and calling.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.