10 Inspiring Quotes From the Dalai Lama
When it comes to great quotes, one thing's for sure: The Dalai Lama has them down.
Which makes sense, because the spiritual leader of Tibet is all about peace, love and happiness.
In honor of his 81st birthday, take a moment to read through some of his best sayings—and make sure you take a few extra moments to be mindful today. The Dalai Lama would want it that way.
Without further ado, prepare yourself for some major wisdom.
1. "Everyday, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it.”
2. “Happiness is not something that comes ready made. It comes from your own actions.”
3. “The mind is like a parachute. It works best when it’s open.”
4. “Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
5. “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
6. “Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.”
7. “Open your arms to change but don’t let go of your values.”
8. “Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.”
9. “Spend some time alone everyday.”
10. When asked what surprised him about humanity the most, the Dalai Lama replied:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Zoë B is a career coach, author, and founder of the SimpleLifeStrategies blog. After a career in corporate advertising and marketing, she turned to the world of strategic thinking, studying neuro linguistic programing and coaching with the Institute of Human Technology. Currently based in Sydney, Australia, she is passionate about helping people find fulfilling careers.