We can be in only one of two states: Either our minds are running us or we are running our minds.
We struggle because we think we aren't supposed to struggle.
Happiness is a choice, but sometimes choosing happy can be hard. Why? In the pursuit of happiness, many of us are distracted and disheartened by the noise of our minds running rampant.
If (even in your pursuit of happiness) you still struggle with depression or life sometimes doesn't make sense, you’re not alone. We all have moments of frustration. Resisting these feelings actually keeps us from being happy.
As a life coach, my clients are on personal growth journeys, and they often feel guilty for being angry or jealous. In reality, this is just our humanness at work. We struggle because we think we aren't supposed to struggle. Be compassionate with yourself and embrace your humanity.
Incorporating happiness into our lives is a dedicated practice. Like any new skill, we must allow ourselves to be beginners at first. We stumble, we get angry with ourselves because we aren't seeing results; This only adds intense pressure that prevents us from moving forward. I bet you're doing a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Here are 10 subtle signs you're headed in the right direction — even when it doesn't feel like it.
1. You're excited about your future and have things to look forward to.
2. You can say no without explaining yourself.
3. You can enjoy your food guilt-free.
4. You’ve stopped trying so hard and are beginning to allow things to come to you.
5. You’ve recognized that what you’re going through is preparing you for what you asked for.
6. You are OK with not knowing the outcome.
7. You no longer compare yourself to others; You want everyone to make it.
8. You invest in yourself and focus on daily improvements.
9. You've stopped asking, "What can I get?" Now, you ask, "What can I give?"
10. You know you matter.
These insights are excerpted from the author's new book, Adventures for Your Soul.
Ready to learn more about what anxiety, brain health, and your diet all have in common? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Dr. Mark Hyman.