15 Things That Shouldn't Define Your Self-Worth
Chaotic and ever-changing as life is, it's no wonder that we look at external factors to define who we are and whether we're succeeding.
Being successful is a repeatable process; you can implement it when you get thrown off balance, and in that rebalancing, you build your worth, strength, and fulfillment.
A few years ago, I left a successful, stable job as an attorney to follow my heart and lead transformational workshops. Starting a business with nothing more than determination meant I had to bust through mental blocks and create new empowering habits. I threw myself off balance, only to rediscover my worth in the process. Two years later, after putting my own success steps into action, my self-worth and business are flourishing.
The crucial moment for me was reframing who I am and how I relate to the world. When faced with chaos, it's easy to lose sight of our identity in the intangibles: the way we treat people, how we handle tough times, and how much love we give.
Here are some things to remind you of who you are, that never define your self-worth. If they all changed tomorrow, you would still be worthy:
1. Your relationship status.
2. Your job, lack thereof, or complete confusion over what to do with your life.
3. Your size, proportions, or entire visual appearance.
4. The cost of anything you own.
5. Whether you made it to the gym today.
6. Your level of education.
7. Whether you've failed more times than you've succeeded.
8. The size, location, or quantity of family members in your living space.
9. Your parents' opinions of you or your choices.
10. The size of your debt.
11. Whether you choose to marry or have children.
12. How many people you've slept with.
13. Not feeling happy or confident 24/7.
14. Whether you're invited to an event, regardless if "everyone is going."
15. Whether you have yet to discover your innate worth.
Ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.