10 Life Lessons I Learned From Running
Recently, I ran a race and I was hoping to finish in a specific time. I trained pretty hard and I was confident it was going to happen. Before the race, I even said, “It’s in the bag."
However, very early on in the race, I knew there was no way it was going to happen so I changed my agenda from trying to run my fastest race ever to enjoying a leisurely, fun run. And even then, I was huffing and puffing and never wanted to see a finish line so badly in my life. Sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don’t.
I accepted that this just wasn't my day and chose to be grateful for a million different reasons, even if my desired outcome wasn't going to be a reality. I was healthy, I was in shape enough to be running a race, and I was outdoors exercising during the best month of the year.
I have been running for years now and I have gained so much from it mentally, physically and spiritually. When I first started, I struggled to complete a mile but I knew that figuring out how to run and get myself in physical shape would somehow change me and help me grow in ways that nothing else could.
Here are 10 life lessons I've learned from running:
1. Beginning is always the hardest part. Push yourself to keep going. It gets easier.
2. Consistency creates habits, and habits create the results to want to achieve.
3. If you want to get better, pain is unavoidable. Don't shy away from it.
4. If you don't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never achieve your goals.
5. People who do things better than you are your teachers, not your competition.
6. Often, thinking you can't go on any longer is a illusion. You often can.
7. Sometimes things don't go as planned. Accept it and move on.
8. When you're going uphill and you want to quit, don’t. Move slower if you have to, but keep going. You will get there.
9. Happiness shouldn’t be put on hold until you cross the finish line. Enjoy as much as you can along the way, even when the going gets tough.
10. Don’t let your desire for improvement rob you of pride in small victories!
No get out there, and go, go, go!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.