Keep The Doctor Away With This Apple & Avocado Green Smoothie
Fall means many things: football, chunky sweaters, root veggies, spicy black bean chili on the stove, cozy fires, holidays, and anything warm and fuzzy. But today we're talking apples.
While they're available year round, apples are in-season during the Fall months, meaning that right now they're crisp, fresh, and a bargain.
And, oh the variety! There are so many tasty varieties available—look for something new and local to try this week.
I love apples in a green smoothie; they provide a ton of fiber, plant nutrients, and a delicious sweet taste. They're also full of pectin, which has been proven to lower cholesterol and prevent cancer.
Combining the health benefits of apples, spinach, and avocados with immune boosting properties of lemon, raw honey, and ginger give you the ultimate flue-preventing and flu-fighting green smoothie.
It's also delicious, and your kids will love it, too.
Immune Boosting Apple + Avocado Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or purified water)
- 2 apples, your choice, cored and quartered
- 3 cups loosely packed spinach (that's about 3 large handfuls)
- 1 avocado, peeled & pitted
- 2 teaspoons raw organic honey (local if possible)
- 1/2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and chopped (use an inch if you like it)
- juice of 1 small lemon (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- 4 to 6 ice cubes
- Optional: pinch of kelp flakes for extra iodine if you have it on-hand
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix or other high-speed blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
Store your second serving in an air-tight glass container (like a mason jar) in the refrigerator up to 24 hours if needed. (See example of how to store a green smoothie here.)
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.