Introducing the healthiest, greenest smoothie you'll ever drink, filled with the super-est of superfoods: spirulina!
Spirulina is a blue-green, spiral-shaped algae (hence its name) that has been around since life appeared on earth. Coincidence? I think not!
The taste is strong, so one tablespoon will do the trick — a little goes a long way! With some turmeric and maca powder, it’s an energizing anti-inflammatory breakfast, too!
Side note: It can leave a bit of it's blue-green color in your mouth, so it's not advisable to eat this before a hot date. Unless your hot date is drinking the spirulina smoothie with you, in which case I think you've found a keeper.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used vanilla)
- 2 handfuls of spinach (about 2 cups)
- 1 scoop vanilla plant based protein powder
- 1 Tbsp. spirulina (1 1/2 or 2 Tbsp. for the overachievers out there, though this will affect the taste!)
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
Night before: Peel and cuts bananas in thirds, then place in freezer the night before. Having a stash of frozen bananas in the freezer is a great way to make a smoothie ritual easier!
Morning of: add ingredients together in blender (any variety will do) and blend.
Enjoy. At home, with a friend, or on a rooftop.