As a licensed acupuncturist specializing in women’s health, I can tell you from personal and clinical experience that you have tremendous influencing power on your hormones simply through the food you choose to put in your body. In Chinese medicine, we treat food as medicine. And so can you!
Whether you're trying to get pregnant or you just want to regulate your menstrual cycle and/or minimize PMS, follow these dietary recommendations for a more harmonious feminine existence.
1. Eat blood-nourishing foods during menstruation week to replenish blood loss: clean meat, fish, eggs, black beans, lentils, kelp, beets, dark leafy greens, broccoli, cherries, red grapes, raspberries.
2. Increase vitamin C intake during menstruation week to help absorb iron: citrus, mangoes, cherries, potatoes, tomatoes, cantaloupe, strawberries, peas, and watercress.
3. Eat yin-nourishing foods during pre-ovulation week to support the yin phase of the menstrual cycle: clean meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, moderate intake of organic dairy products.
4. Eat foods rich in vitamin E during pre-ovulation week to nourish the developing follicle: nuts, seeds, whole grains, sweet potatoes, cold-pressed oils, leafy greens, and avocados.
5. Eat foods high in vitamin B during ovulation week to assist the release of your egg and implantation (if pregnancy is your goal): leafy greens, whole grains, eggs, and clean meat.
6. Eat foods rich in zinc during ovulation week to help with cell division and progesterone production: clean meat, fish, poultry, wheat germ, eggs, whole grains, and figs.
7. Eat cooked food the week before your period or possible pregnancy like soups to keep your uterus warm and progesterone levels high.
8. Avoid processed foods, refined sugar, coffee and alcohol the week before your period or possible pregnancy, especially if you have PMS symptoms.
9. Increase your water and fiber intake the week before your period to help the liver metabolize estrogen, which is one of the main causes of premenstrual symptoms like cramps, bloating, and moodiness.
10. If you're trying to get pregnant, try eating pineapple during the week after ovulation because it contains bromelain, which thickens the uterine lining to help egg implantation.