4 Mantras To Help When You're In A Dark Place

4 Mantras To Help When You're In A Dark Place Hero Image

Several years ago I hit rock bottom. I was in a job I hated, and in a romantic relationship that was superficial and fueled with fights and drug binges. I was stuck in every area of my life. I would put happy faces on my calendar for days that I didn't cry. After three months, there were only five happy faces in the entire 90-day period. My depression was overwhelming, and I realized I needed to do something about it.

When you're in a depression or dark period of your life, it's almost impossible to see a way out. But knowing that you are not alone can help.

I found out my deep, dark depression was part of a quarter-life crisis, which for many people in their late twenties, is known as Saturn Returns.

Saturn Returns is the astrological period of our life when the planet Saturn completes its orbit around the Sun. It happens every 29.5 years; so if you've skipped by this turbulent time in your late 20's, you could be feeling the effects in your late 50's.

What does this mean? Whether you dig astrology or not, this planet is orbiting around the sun, which means vibrational shifts will fall into your life. More specifically, careers could take off — or they will completely flop. You could meet the love of our life — or run away from your current partner who you thought was your happily ever after.

ADVERTISEMENT

For me, the pressure felt insurmountable. But once I realized my so-called "quarter-life crisis" was really just part of growing up, I was able to make decisions aligned with my true self. And after surviving my own Saturn Returns, I can tell you about the light on the other side of the tunnel. I'm living my dream life today, and it came about because I dove deep into my depression.

Saturn Returns and depression (no matter what age of your life) can help you be a stronger person. Your future self is rooting for you! If you are currently in this gray period of your life, try one of these motivational mantras to help you through.

1. Trust your heart.

The turbulence in your life can be an opportunity to consider a new path. Don't be afraid to let go of what no longer serves you. Do you feel suffocated by your current job? Now is the time to hire a life coach, quit, or start dreaming about a job that brings you more joy. Are you feeling trapped in your relationship? Perhaps it's time to say goodbye. Trust your heart it will never lead you astray.

It may feel like your world is turning upside down, but what is really happening is that all of the things you have outgrown, or no longer want, are coming loose so you can step into a revised version of yourself.

Motivational mantra to help you get through: Remember, things fall apart so better things can fall into place.

2. Explore your expectations.

Take a look at your expectations — both of how you thought your life was going to be at this point, and where you think you're heading. Saturn Returns and depression are all about exploration, learning more about what you need in life, and deep inner reflection. Be gentle to yourself during any dark period, give yourself permission to think about your expectations and if they really align with your heart's true desire.

Motivational mantra to help you get through: My future self is rooting for me, I release expectations on what I thought my life would be like.

3. Go on a future trip.

Being in a depression or navigating Saturn Returns can help us learn about ourselves, if we're willing. Give yourself permission to dive into self-reflection mode. Turning inward will help you ride the waves of uncertainly more smoothly. Let your imagination and those inner voices guide you. Where our mind drifts to the most often is where our heart is. I trusted my own day dreams and went from a conservative advertising corporate climber to a wanderlusting travel writer.

Motivational mantra to help you get through: I trust my inner voice. I let my imagination and inner voices guide me.

4. Trust the process.

It's never too late, ever, to be the person who you are really supposed to be. The pain, depression and turbulence in our lives can come when we hold on to patterns, beliefs, jobs, relationships lifestyle choice, and environments that no longer serve us. Letting go and releasing your resistance to the unknown will help you glide into the next phase of your life.

Motivational mantra to help you get through: In order to fly I will give up the crap that is weighting me down. I release my attachment to the outcome.

When we go through Saturn Returns, depression or any dark period of our life, remember there is beauty in breakdown, and the pain could be a life push to guide you to what is most important.

If you want more guidance on how to navigate the tough times, grab your FREE guide on Loving Your Life More Fully.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com