After my previous article, someone wrote to me and asked if I could help them use yoga and natural therapies to heal their thyroid issues. Of course I can! Remember that whenever there is a problem, there is a solution. Whenever there is a will, there is a way. It is NEVER too late to live; it is ALWAYS too early to die!
Some symptoms of someone with an imbalanced thyroid function are difficulty regulating the heat in the body (cold hands and feet and hot and cold flushes), irregular menstrual cycles, poor growth, insomnia, low bone density, lack of energy, slow metabolism, bulging eyes, irregular heart rate, tiredness and infertility.
Here is what I wrote:
1. You need to alkalise. Regularly test your pH levels and see where you are sitting; it should be 7.35. Definitely don’t settle for anything lower than that.
2. Take mineral supplements – Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc, and Iodine. Also, eat raw fresh organic vegetables, especially veggies with lots of vitamin C.
3. You need to detox heavy metals out of your system. You can do this through regular dosages of MSM. And zeolites.
4. Certain herbs will help – Ashwaganda (Withania somnifera).
5. Also “earthing,” which is when you touch your bare skin to the earth, which balances the electromagnetism in the body because you receive free electrons from the earth. Walking barefoot on the beach is a great way to do this, or yoga in the park without a mat.
6. Stop drinking tap water because in most cities it is toxic from the sodium fluoride that the government dumps in it. Get a good water filter. Drink about 2-4 liters a day. Never guzzle, just sip.
7. Get plenty of sunlight, and fresh air, especially in the morning.
8. Find a really great yoga teacher who knows yoga therapy to work with you one on one. The best two yoga postures to heal thyroid dysfunction are: