5 Reasons To Drink More Matcha

I fell in love with matcha green tea two years ago when my best friend (and favorite chef) introduced me to her favorite almond milk matcha latte while I was visiting her.

Green tea has been a favorite of mine for more than 10 years, so I was very curious about matcha tea and all of the incredible health benefits it contained. Wow, I was amazed to hear that it was a cut above the rest and considered to be one of the most powerful superfoods today!

My husband and I started incorporating matcha into our green smoothies, nut milks, and other recipes. We studied everything we could find on the subject of matcha, including how to prepare the tea and incorporate it in many different recipes from sweet to savory.

Drinking matcha green tea has been a time-honored tradition in Japan for more than 900 years. Buddhist monks valued matcha as a health elixir and consumed it prior to meditation. Matcha is cultivated from a high-quality leaf known as tencha. The tencha leaves are sheltered from the sun to produce a vibrant shade of green due to the increased amount of chlorophyll. Matcha leaves are carefully harvested by hand and briefly steamed to protect the leaves from oxidation.

The careful production of matcha ensures its unique flavor and high levels of antioxidants. Here are five reasons I love matcha green tea and why you should be drinking more of it:

1. It contains high levels of antioxidants.

The first amazing benefit of matcha is that just 1 cup provides at least three times as many antioxidants as regular green tea — the highest rated by the ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) method.

2. It has energy-boosting power.

Move over, coffee! Matcha is a perfect energy enhancer but with no caffeine jitters. Matcha contains about half the amount of caffeine than regular coffee. So go ahead and enjoy a matcha latte!

3. It aids in weight loss.

When it comes to boosting your metabolism and helping with weight loss, few things are more beneficial than matcha green tea, due to its high concentration of catechins (an antioxidant).

Green tea extract, rich in catechins, has thermogenic properties and promotes fat oxidation beyond that explained by the tea's caffeine content.

4. It offers immune system support.

Matcha contains incredible immune-boosting properties in every cup. Like many antioxidants, catechins have a multitude of healing properties on a cellular level.

These catechins are also effective in fighting various bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. Just one bowl of matcha provides substantial quantities of potassium, vitamins A and C, iron, enzymes, and calcium.

5. It gives you mental alertness along with a calm feeling.

Matcha tea works effectively in providing a calming effect to the mind and body.

Matcha green tea contains L-theanine, a unique amino acid that assists in boosting alpha waves in the brain. These alpha waves promote mental relaxation and induce a feeling of mental clarity and a more alert state of mind.

How to Drink It

A fantastic way to include matcha in your daily routine is by simple drinking it on its own, or by adding it to a smoothie or other beverage.

I add matcha to my breakfast green smoothies for sustainable energy all morning. Here's a green smoothie recipe featured in my free bonus package for purchasing my new book, The Matcha Miracle. Check it out here.

Matcha Mango Mint Smoothie

Makes 2 16-ounce glasses

Ingredients

• 3 big handfuls of spinach
  • 1 cup frozen/fresh mango
  • 15 mint leaves
  • 1½ teaspoons matcha green tea powder
  • ½ cup frozen/fresh strawberries
  • ½ banana
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • 1 cup water

Preparation

Blend ingredients in a high-powered blender. Pour into a glass and enjoy.

This was excerpted from The Matcha Miracle.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!