5 Reasons Why Watermelon Is Wonderful
I LOVE watermelon. It’s refreshing, sweet, light and low calorie. This juicy fruit is an excellent after dinner sweet treat and great in other ways too! I love it in salads, soups, drinks, smoothies, frozen treats! And what picnic or BBQ isn’t complete without this iconic bright pink piece of summertime?
I was in the grocery store with my guy the other day and honestly had no idea how to pick out a watermelon. I smelled it (that didn’t work!) and then tapped on it (then jokingly played them like bongos!). I came home and did some research and my intuition was right on! To pick out an ideal watermelon, knock on them. You want to hear a hollow echo.
Watermelon has always been a fun part of summer but the best part? It’s good for you too!
Top 5 Reasons to Slurp up Watermelon!
1. High in Vitamins A & C as well as B6 and essential minerals, means it’s loaded with antioxidants which helps fight free radicals (that can lead to inflammation and illnesses).
2. Besides providing 2 grams of protein and fiber, it’s also a good source of lycopene and beta-carotene (which gives it its beautiful pink color!) and helps fight cancer and heart disease.
3. It’s a low-calorie sweet that helps lose weight and curb your sweet tooth. One slice of watermelon has about 86 calories and less than 1 gram of fat.
4. It works as a great accent to savory dishes such as salads and soups.
5. There are so many fun ways to enjoy watermelon during the summer – just cut up in cubes or slices, in drinks (see my Watermelon Mint Cooler recipe below!), sorbets, granitas, popsicles, and even as a punch bowl or fruit bowl!
Bonus Tip! It’s not just for your tummy! Use it as a body scrub for your skin too!
Watermelon Mint Cooler
It’s almost embarrassing how easy this specialty drink is. It’s a great drink to serve on a hot summer day that will really ‘wow’ your guests. Watermelon is hydrating and mint is great for digestion. This is truly a healthy and tasty drink!
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 2)
- 2 cups seedless organic watermelon
- 5 sprigs organic fresh mint (I used the wild mint from my folks garden!)
- 3 ice cubes
- For a fizzy drink: Splash selzer (I personally prefer mine without the fizz)
- To get your cocktail on: ½ cup vodka (no comment!)
- For a chilled version: serve over ice (which I prefer)
Blend watermelon, mint and ice in a blender. That’s it. No really, that’s it!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.