'Tis the season for rhubarb! This tart plant is usually used as a fruit, but actually qualifies as a vegetable. Rhubarb is a perennial, which means it grows year after year. This makes it easy to find and maintain in backyards. When harvesting rhubarb, remember the redder the stalk, the sweeter the taste. Also, the leaves are poisonous, so be sure to chop them off and discard!
This Strawberry-Rhubarb Chia Seed Parfait makes a perfect breakfast, dessert or snack, and is a great way to incorporate rhubarb into your diet.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Chia Parfait
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 cups rhubarb (diced)
- 3 cups strawberries (diced)
1. Combine the chia seeds, almond milk and honey together in a bowl and mix well until all clumps are dissolved. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 4 hours or until thickened.
2. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Place the rhubarb and strawberries together in a glass baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. To make parfaits, set out mason jars (we use size 250mL). Layer in chia pudding and use a slotted spoon to add the strawberry rhubarb mix. Repeat to create layers. Enjoy right away or store in the fridge up to 4 days. Enjoy!
Photo courtesy of the author