A Detoxifying Turmeric Tea To Relieve Inflammation
With the change of season often comes nagging colds, seasonal allergies, digestive discomfort and fatigue. Start your day with this soothing and detoxifying tea to aid in elimination, upset stomach and decreasing inflammation — all things that can bog us down this time of year.
This soothing and detoxifying tea takes the warm lemon water morning ritual to a whole new level with the addition of turmeric. Turmeric is a root similar to ginger, but bright orange and yellow in color. These bright pigments are a powerhouse property called curcumin. Curcumin is a strong anti-inflammatory. Turmeric has been shown to provide relief to those suffering from bowel disorders, arthritis, cystic fibrosis and is thought to have cancer prevention properties.
Lemon Ginger Turmeric Tea
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon fresh turmeric, thinly sliced
- juice of ¾ lemon
- 16-20 oz of water (4-5 cups)
- optional: honey for sweetness
1. Add water to a teapot or sauce pan, cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute.
2. Place ginger and turmeric in a tea ball or cloth tea bag and place in a mug. Squeeze lemon juice into the mug. Pour hot water over the top, and add honey if desired. Steep for at least 4-5 minutes. You can leave tea bag in while you drink if desired. Allow to cool slightly prior to consuming.
*If you do not have a tea ball or cloth tea bag, place ginger and turmeric directly into mug, allow to steep covered for 5 minutes, and strain into another mug to avoid floating root pieces.