This Easy Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Is Vegan, Keto & Paleo Friendly
This Sunday (July 19th) is National Ice Cream Day, and if you ask us the perfect way to celebrate safely might just be teaching yourself to make ice cream at home. If that sounds a little intimidating, it doesn't need to be: this simple recipe may not even require a trip to the store.
From the Clean Paleo Family Cookbook, this homemade ice cream recipe is here to tackle the need for ice cream that may strike at any moment. Simple to make even without an ice cream maker, it's vegan, paleo, and can be made keto-friendly—so no matter what your preferred diet is, you'll be able to enjoy it.
And since it's largely made up of pantry ingredients like coconut milk and vanilla extract, it has some definite benefits over ice cream recipes that require perishable dairy products or unusual ingredients..
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 13½-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk, chilled
- ½ cup natural sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour or arrowroot powder (For keto, use ⅛ teaspoon of xanthan gum or 1½ teaspoons gelatin)
- On a cutting board, use a sharp paring knife to split the vanilla bean lengthwise. Run the edge of the knife along the cut sides of the bean to scrape out the seeds. Transfer the seeds to a high-speed blender.
- Add the coconut milk, sweetener, vanilla extract, and tapioca. Blend on high speed until smooth and combined.
- Add the liquid ice cream mixture to a freezer-safe container and put in the freezer.
- Freeze until firm, 5 to 6 hours. Remove the ice cream a couple of times during those hours and mix it with a spoon.
- Before serving, allow the ice cream to sit out for 5 to 10 minutes so it's easier to scoop.
Eliza Sullivan is an SEO Editor at mindbodygreen, where she writes about food, recipes, and nutrition—among other things. She received a B.S. in journalism and B.A. in english literature with honors from Boston University, and she has previously written for Boston Magazine, TheTaste.ie, and SUITCASE magazine.