These Spicy Snackable Brussels Sprouts Are Essential For Your Next Road Trip
These Brussels sprouts are a perfect snack for a road trip, even for the person who's doing the driving. You can just pick them up and pop them in your mouth—easy-peasy. Pack them into a cooler (don't forget the napkins) and hit the road!
Snackable Spicy Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat, until the garlic is fragrant and starts to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oil; discard the garlic.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Drizzle with garlic oil and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and chipotle powder; toss to coat. Arrange the sprouts in a single layer on the pan.
- Roast for about 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until lightly browned and just tender.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in an airtight container. Chill for at least 2 hours before traveling.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Chill: 2 hours
- Total: 2 hours, 45 minutes
To Travel: Place the container of Brussels sprouts in a cooler with ice packs or ice. Consume within 8 hours unless you replenish the cooler with fresh ice packs or ice or are able to transfer the container to a refrigerator.
Excerpted from The Whole30 Friends & Family © 2019 by Melissa Hartwig Urban. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Melissa Urban is a certified sports nutritionist who specializes in helping people change their relationship with food and create life-long, healthy habits. She is the co-creator of the Whole30 program, the New York Times bestselling author of It Starts With Food and The Whole30, and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Details, Redbook, and Woman’s World. Urban has presented over 150 health and nutrition seminars worldwide, and connects with more than 1 million people a month through the Whole30 website.
Photo credit: Taylor Gage