This Sweet Potato Shake Is The Ultimate PMS Potion To Relieve Your Pain
Period cramps and nausea can be debilitating for many, and any form of relief is more than appreciated (especially when it's all-natural and tastes good).
Emily von Euw, author of the cookbook Rawsome Superfoods, shares the ultimate "PMS potion" or, as von Euw calls it, "a sweet potato pie in a cold, creamy shake." This concoction leans heavily on sweet potatoes, as they are high in insoluble and soluble fiber, which help relieve bloating and feed your gut with good bacteria. Ginger is also packed into this nutritious shake, which is anti-inflammatory and can help alleviate nausea and indigestion.
Unfortunately, we can't make period pain go away, but by adding things like healthy fats, magnesium, and extra vitamin E to your diet, you can help relieve the discomfort. It also helps that it's delicious!
Sweet Potato Shake
Serves 1 to 2
- 1½ cups (360 ml) nondairy milk (page 209)
- ⅓ cup (60 g) sweet potato purée
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- Pinch of stevia powder
- Maple syrup, as desired
- 4 to 5 ice cubes, as desired
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Adjust it according to taste, adding maple syrup, extra spices, and ice, as desired.
- Pour it into a cup and enjoy!
And are you ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.