Not only is this cake fantastically vibrant when served up, it's also jam-packed with beetroot.
Beets are great for reducing inflammation and supporting the body through detoxification. The addition of beets also gives this cake a moist and fluffy texture without sacrificing flavor.
Chocolate Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cake
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 8 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups grated beets
- 1 cup cream cheese frosting (recipe below), to serve
- 250g cream cheese
- zest of 1 lemon, optional
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
1. Line a spring-form cake tin with baking paper and preheat the oven to 325°F. Add all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Add in the dry ingredients and fold through the grated beets.
3. Pour mixture into pre-lined cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Remove cake and set aside to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make the frosting: Blend cheese in a high-speed blender along with the syrup, lemon juice and zest. Slowly add the coconut cream until it's nice and thick. If needed, add more coconut cream until it's thick enough.
5. Once the cake is cool, carefully remove from the tin and slice in half width ways with a sharp knife.
6. Spread the bottom layer of the red velvet cake with frosting and place the other layer carefully on top, serve.
This recipe is originally from the I Quit Sugar Chocolate Cookbook Vol.II, available for purchase online at IQuitSugar.com.