5 Questions To Steer You Toward Your Dream Life

Every year, a great debate rages over the value of New Year's resolutions. The naysayers point out that most people don't actually achieve their resolutions. The optimists point out that people who explicitly make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who do not.

The point is, if you're going to set goals, you need to ask the right questions and be specific. This year, I used the questions below to create a blueprint of the life I want to live. One month into 2014, I couldn't be happier.

1. What are the things you want to fill your days with?

Think of the activities that give you joy and a sense of purpose. Then, ask why these things are important to you. For example, if you want to spend more time rock climbing, what you may really want is health, community, or adventure. Write down 3 to 5 of these high-level "things."

2. Do you believe you can have the things you've listed above?

Many people lose the resolutions game before it begins because, for whatever reason, they don't truly believe they deserve the things they want most. Before moving on, take a second to fully acknowledge that you can have anything you're committed to attaining.

3. How will you get them?

Now, let's get specific and create a blueprint for how you're actually going to build the life you want. For example, if you listed health as one of the things you'd like to attain, now is the time to write down how you'll get it: exercise, sleep, diet, positivity, etc.

4. What kind of person do you want to be?

A great life is as much about who you are as what you want. So write down 3 to 5 values you want to live.

When will you take action?

(Tip: it's important to answer this question in CAPS and with lots of exclamation marks!!!)

5. Last step: turn your answers into affirmations.

I've included mine as examples below.

My life is filled with health, relationships, fun, purpose and growth.

I am a positive, loving, honest, bold, creative and healthy person.

I am worthy of these things. And I'm taking action to enjoy and share them with others.

Some more ideas:

• Health: I have an abundance of sleep, nutrition, exercise, meditation and positivity.
  • Relationships: I am generous with my time, love, service and gifts for my family, friends and soulmate.
  • Fun: I love work, travel, being outdoors and celebrating my healthy, fun and purposeful life.
  • Purpose: I work hard to empower customers, teammates, people in need, and the planet.
  • Growth: I am learning and growing through mentors, books, reflection and courses.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!