Skip to content

What A Gut Health Expert Eats To Keep Her Skin Glowing

Alexandra Engler
mbg Beauty Director
By Alexandra Engler
mbg Beauty Director
Alexandra Engler is the Beauty Director. Previously she worked at Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, SELF, and Cosmopolitan; her byline has appeared in Esquire, Sports Illustrated, and Allure.com.
Image by Darren Muir / Stocksy
November 1, 2021

"Beautiful skin always starts with the gut," says Kellyann Petrucci, M.S., N.D. And we couldn't agree more! The gut-skin connection is something we talk about a lot in our content—and we espouse the benefits of an inside-out glow often. But in this week's Clean Beauty School, we're taking a deep dive with Petrucci herself: In the episode we talk about how gut inflammation affects the body and skin and how you can help your body avoid it in the first place. 

See, in the wellness circles, she's known as a top gut expert—and specifically a bone broth advocate. Not to mention, she has a positively glowing complexion. So of course I had to ask her what she eats in a day. 

Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.

How this gut health expert eats for her skin. 

Petrucci says she lives by the 80-20 rule: Eat for your body for 80% of the time, then "You can go out and have fun" for the other 20%. But she says she can follow this lifestyle because she's, "done the work and gotten the inflammation out of my body." 

And one of the top ways she's done this is through bone broth. "I drink a lot of bone broth throughout the day," she says, noting that she also practices intermittent fasting, so this helps keep her satiated while fasting. Bone broth has many skin and health benefits, ranging from aiding in collagen production (bone broth is high in amino acids, which are the building blocks of collagen) to supporting the gut lining. 

She also gets her vegetable and nutrient intake by utilizing soups, stews, and smoothies. "These are kind of my go-to," she says. "I make shakes with collagen because you can help your body make its own collagen. It's so important to help that process."* Collagen supplements are shown to improve skin elasticity: Research shows that hydrolyzed collagen peptides have been shown to help promote your body's natural production of collagen and other molecules that make up the skin, like elastin and fibrillin.* 

She also says she loves eating another fan favorite: "I have a lot of salmon," she says. Salmon is full of antioxidants and fatty acids. The former helps neutralize free radicals, while the latter supports the skin barrier.

"And you know, sometimes I go off the rails and I just don't worry about it," she says. "If I'm out and want to have the pasta or burger, I do. Because I've put in the work the other 80% of the time. But if not, I just manipulate the menu—I ask for two vegetables for sides, for example." 

For more inflammation, gut health, and skin care tips, be sure to tune in. 

If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking medications, consult with your doctor before starting a supplement routine. It is always optimal to consult with a health care provider when considering what supplements are right for you.
Alexandra Engler
Alexandra Engler
mbg Beauty Director

Alexandra Engler is the Beauty Director at mindbodygreen. She received her journalism degree from Marquette University, graduating first in the department. She has worked at many top publications and brands including Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, SELF, and Cosmopolitan; her byline has appeared in Esquire, Sports Illustrated, and Allure.com. In her current role, she covers all the latest trends and updates in the clean and natural beauty space, as well as travel, financial wellness, and parenting. She has reported on the intricacies of product formulations, the diversification of the beauty industry, and and in-depth look on how to treat acne from the inside, out (after a decade-long struggle with the skin condition herself). She lives in Brooklyn, New York.