Craving Comfort Food? This Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Is Hearty & Healthy
This soup utilizes some pantry staples, but if you don't have sweet potatoes, you can certainly swap in cauliflower or carrots. You can also build depth of flavor by roasting the vegetables before pureeing them with liquid. You can create that creamy, rich texture without any dairy by adding a shot of good olive oil at the end of the blending process.
This recipe makes a lot, so feel free to heat it up for a few days. You can also freeze it by cooling it down then filling to-go bags and lying them flat in your freezer. They defrost much quicker that way and take up less space.
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 super-large or 5 average-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. ginger powder
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 4 cups of vegan broth or water
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even pieces, about 2 inches.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, a big pinch of salt, ginger, and turmeric powder.
- Spread them out on the baking sheet, giving them space in an even layer.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes till the edges start to brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Then, in a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon to coat the bottom of the pot and add shallot and sweet potatoes.
- Add the broth and the coconut milk.
- Bring up to a simmer for about 20 minutes, till sweet potatoes easily mush between your fingers.
- Working in batches, blend, then add a 1 to 2 tbsp. of olive oil with the blender on for a creamy, silky texture.
For gluten-free everything croutons:
- Stale gluten-free bread
- Olive oil
- Everything seasoning
To make the croutons:
- In a bowl, combine bread, ripped into even pieces with a 2 tbsp. of olive oil and coat the bread.
- Sprinkle in everything seasoning to coat.
- Spread bread out on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F until crunchy.
Ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.