This Keto Peppermint Mocha Recipe Will Get You In The Holiday Spirit
While we all love to add a little holiday cheer to our morning coffee this time of year, if you are following a ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate), you might think delicious mix-ins are off the menu for you.
Loaded with sugary syrups, your typical coffee shop holiday favorites are anything but keto-friendly. And the mixes you buy at the store aren't exactly low-carb either.
Not to worry, though, as the author of the plant-based keto book Ketotarian, I have the perfect keto twist on one of my seasonal favorites, a peppermint mocha.
With just a few simple low-sugar, high-fat substitutions, you can still sip merrily.
Keto-Friendly Peppermint Mocha
Yields 1 serving
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- ½ cup hot coffee
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon, or more, stevia or monk fruit to taste
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together coffee, dairy-free milk of choice, peppermint, cacao, MCT oil, and sweetener of choice.
- Stir until heated through and fully combined.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy.
- Optional: If you have a milk frother, froth to make more creamy and top with coconut whip for additional healthy fats if you desire.