This Sweet Pea Salad Is Affordable & High-Protein
Spring is finally here, and you know what that means: It's time for spring cleaning. Usually, this means decluttering the house or your closet, but this year we're expanding that to include our food choices. It's a great time to take inventory of what we're eating, what's working, and what's not.
The latest Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 lists are out as of Wednesday, which has us navigating the produce aisle with ease, and specifically looking at No. 3 on the EWG's Clean Fifteen list: frozen sweet peas.
This jumped off the page because frozen produce is often cheaper and can hold more nutrients than fresh produce. Not to mention, peas are high in protein and offer a delicate and fresh sweetness to any dish.
Clodagh McKenna, author of Clodagh's Suppers: Suppers to Celebrate the Seasons, helps us ring in the new season with a dish featuring this Clean Fifteen headliner. This pea salad can be made with frozen sweet peas and includes the smoky taste of crunchy pancetta, melt-in-your-mouth goat cheese, and the light, refreshing tang of orange and Dijon mustard in the dressing.
If you're looking to embrace spring and affordable produce, this salad is really the perfect place to start.
Spring Pea, Pea Shoot, Pancetta & Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup diced pancetta
- 7 ounces pea shoots (optional)
- 1½ cups frozen sweet peas
- ¾ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil, followed by the pancetta. Cook the pancetta for about 8 minutes until crispy.
- Meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the dressing to a bowl and whisk together well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients for the salad in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, add the crispy pancetta, and gently toss together.
- Divide the salad between four plates and serve.
And are you ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.