We love desserts that taste like the real thing but include real, raw ingredients as opposed to processed sugar. This naturally sweet chocolate gelato from the new cookbook Modern Raw by Rachel Carr, a raw vegan and plant-based chef, is just that—and more.
It's a creamy delight that features raw cacao powder (seriously mood-boosting), healthy fats such as avocado, coconut oil, and cashews. Blend all the goodness into a smooth texture and use either an ice cream maker or freezer to create your homemade gelato.
"The flavor of the avocado is undetectable, but the smooth texture shines through. If you like, you can fold chopped nuts, cacao nibs, granola, or even fresh fruit into the mixture, says Carr.
Depending on what you're feeling like eating, you can turn this treat into chocolate heaven or a fruity option. Either way, you can't go wrong with a sweet treat that tastes delicious and doesn't compromise your health.
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 small avocado
- 1 cup pure maple syrup, date syrup or agave nectar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup fresh blackberries or any other fresh fruit
- ¼ cup Apple-Cinnamon Buckwheat Granola
- 2 tablespoons date syrup or pure maple syrup
- In a blender, combine all the gelato ingredients and blend. When smooth and creamy, transfer to a bowl or lidded container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (although you can chill the blended ice cream base for 24 hours if desired).
- After the mixture is chilled, transfer it to an ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Place in the freezer after the ice cream maker is done. Serve garnished with the blackberries, buckwheat granola, and date syrup.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can make this gelato in your freezer. Simply place the gelato in a container, cover, and place in your freezer. Allow to freeze overnight. Stirring a few times during the first 2 hours of freezing will help prevent ice crystals from forming. It will be grainier than if you make it in an ice cream maker.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.