Use Your Instant Pot To Make This Super Gut-Healing Bone Broth
Bone broth is a darling of the wellness world. Known for its many benefits including reducing symptoms of leaky gut, decreasing inflammation, and fighting off illness and infection, bone broth can seem like a superhuman elixir. Sure, it traditionally takes hours and hours to make, but if you have an Instant Pot, you could have homemade bone broth in less than an hour.
This recipe from An Allergy Mom's Lifesaving Instant Pot Cookbook, a new cookbook by Megan Lavin, takes 45 minutes and can be frozen for up to six months. If you're looking for even more of a nutrient-punch, Lavin recommends blending the veggies and incorporating into the broth, which is what she does to make sure her kids get all of the good stuff.
You can sip it plain if you're a mega bone-broth fan, or you can use it as the base to any soup. Thanks to an Instant Pot, this warming, immune-boosting broth is possible, and we are definitely taking advantage.
Homemade Bone Broth Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
- Bones from 1 organic rotisserie chicken
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 to 12 cups water
- Place all your ingredients in your Instant Pot, making sure everything is submerged in the water (it's OK if some of the bones are sticking out) and taking care not to go over the maximum fill line for your model.
- Close the lid and move the valve to sealing. Use the pressure button to set your Instant Pot to high pressure. Hit manual and use the plus and minus buttons to reach 45 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, move the valve to venting to quickly release the pressure.
- Remove and discard the bones and bay leaves. Using either an immersion blender or high-quality blender and working in batches, blend the vegetables and liquid, being careful of the hot soup.
- Eat this soup within 2 to 3 days or freeze it for up to 6 months. This can be consumed plain or used as a base for all of my soups.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join live July office hours.