Whether you're on the keto diet or not, every now and again it's fun to spice up your typical morning scramble. These harissa poached eggs from The Keto for One Cookbook by Dana Carpender are packed with flavorful, nutritious ingredients that are sure to wake you up and keep you in ketosis. Among these are green chilis, which research suggests may reduce inflammation and slow the spread of lung cancer.
The spice doesn't stop there. You'll also add in some harissa made from chili peppers, which, thanks to the compound capsaicin, will help boost your metabolism. Balance out these spicy flavors with some olives, feta cheese, and chicken broth, and you have yourself a plate of pure goodness. Here's to spicing up your morning and your life!
Harissa Poached Eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup canned tomatoes with green chilies (with juice)
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste
- 2 kalamata olives
- 2 pimento-stuffed green olives
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Coat your egg skillet with cooking spray and put it over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or so. Then add the broth, tomatoes, and harissa paste. Stir it all up and bring to a simmer. Let cook for a minute while you quickly slice those olives and stir them in.
- Crack the eggs directly into the skillet, being careful not to break the yolks. Cover the skillet and let them poach until they are done to your liking—I like my whites done through but my yolks still runny, about 5 minutes.
- Plate, sprinkle the feta on top, and dig in.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.