These Keto-Approved Savory Waffles Will Keep You Full All Day
Start off your day happy and energized with these keto-friendly waffles from the forthcoming cookbook Everyday Keto Baking by Erica Kerwien. These nut-free, grain-free, and gluten-free waffles are high in fat, protein, and fiber, and low in carbs (4 grams of carbs per waffle), making them the perfect keto breakfast.
Unlike your usual waffles drizzled with syrup and topped with fruit or chocolate, these ones offer a savory taste thanks to the scallions and pepper jack cheese. They're meant to be customized to your liking, so Kerwien recommends eating them with foods like grilled chicken, ham, bacon, avocados, tomatoes, or a fried egg.
As with all the recipes in Everyday Keto Baking, the idea is that you can eat your favorite baked goods if you make them with real ingredients that help you hit your macro goals. Whether you're just getting started on the keto journey or have been a longtime keto-lover, these waffles will hit the spot.
Makes 4 waffles
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or other oil
- ½ cup trimmed and finely sliced scallions (about 3 onions)
- ¾ cup grated pepper Jack cheese or other cheese
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt (less than ⅛ teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Preheat your waffle iron to a medium heat.
- Mix all the ingredients together using a mixer or whisk. Let the batter sit for a few minutes and mix once more.
- Scoop ½ cup to 1 cup batter, depending on the size of your waffle iron, and pour onto the iron. Cook the waffle on medium heat, following the manufacturer's directions.
- Serve warm. The waffles can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for about a week or in the freezer for a few months.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join live July office hours.