The Herbal Digestive Bitters You Should Sip Before Every Meal
If you ever struggle with acid reflux, bloating, or other common digestive issues, bitters before a meal could help alleviate uncomfortable symptoms. This recipe from The Backyard Herbal Apothecary by Devon Young is the perfect mixture to prep your digestive tract for any meal.
These digestive bitters include dandelion greens to prompt your digestive system to start working, orange peels to discourage overeating, and ginger, which helps stimulates peristalsis of the stomach wall (the natural movement of the stomach muscles that helps food keep moving).
While this recipe makes one pint (you can use it for a year!), you'll want to use one to three dropperfuls before a meal. You can either take this on its own or add it to your water or a cocktail, depending on your night. We hope this addition to your routine makes meals a more pleasant experience start to finish.
Digestive Bitters With Dandelion, Orange Peel & Ginger
Makes 1 pint
- 2 cups 100-proof spirits (vodka recommended)
- ¾ cup chopped fresh dandelion greens
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- Rind of 1 small orange (with pith)
- In a small blender, combine the spirits, dandelion greens, ginger, and orange rind. Blend until it becomes a well-combined slurry. Transfer to a jar with a tightfitting lid, and infuse for a minimum of 6 weeks.
- After the infusion is complete, strain through two layers of flour sack cloth into a liquid measuring cup. Bitters may be slightly thick due to the presence of pectin; this is normal—just allow extra time for it to filter through the cloth. Pour into 1- or 2-ounce amber glass dropper bottles or into a pint-size amber glass master bottle for dispensing. Use within 1 year.
And do you want to design your home to help you manifest your dreams? Dana Claudat, modern feng shui master, is hosting an exclusive event to make Feng Shui simple so you can bring your dreams to life through easy at-home tips. All live attendees have a chance to win a 3-hr consult with Dana (a value of $900)! Click here to register now!