This Anti-inflammatory Beet + Cherry Smoothie Also Supports Your Liver
This dark purple, cacao-laced smoothie has a pleasing combination of earthy, rich, and zesty ingredients. It is filled with inflammation-fighting ginger and beet to give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to reboot and refuel.
Beet + Cherry Smoothie
- Scant ¼ cup hazelnuts, almonds, or cashews
- ¾ cup frozen cherries
- ½-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1 beet, peeled and chopped
- ½ banana, frozen
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 heaping tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein (optional, for a post-exercise pick-me-up)
- Small handful of oats (optional, for a more filling breakfast smoothie)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then transfer to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve and enjoy!
London-based food blogger and certified health coach Tess Ward is a Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef who has worked in the kitchens of River Cottage and The Ritz. She develops recipes for the Grazia restaurant column and for brands such as Le Creuset and Mulberry. She is passionate about reviving healthy cooking and helping reduce food waste with simple seasonal dishes, stripped back to a few ingredients, which she writes about on TessWard.net.