How To Make Grain-Free Zucchini Pizza Crust
In the grain-free pizza crust hierarchy, cauliflower tends to hold the top slot. However, there have been some other alternative-crust creations as of late (sweet potato or quinoa crust, anyone?), and this recipe from Peter and Kelli Bronski's No Gluten, No Problem: Pizza adds one more nutritious ingredient to the mix: zucchini.
Use this veggie-based crust as the base for all of your favorite pizzas—be it a traditional Margherita, a smoky barbecue chicken, or a fancy fig and prosciutto pie. The possibilities are endless, and you'll be sure to get your fill of fibrous veggies.
Grain-Free Zucchini Crust
Makes one 12-inch (30-cm) pizza
- 1½ pounds (680 g/3½ cups) coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 28 grams almond flour
- 20 grams tapioca starch
- 2 ounces (55 g) shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Set your oven rack in the middle position and place your baking steel on it. Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the zucchini in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Allow to set for 15 minutes. Then scrape into a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Return the zucchini to the bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Place a 15-inch (38-cm) square piece of parchment on the counter and press the zucchini mixture into a 12-inch (30-cm) circle. It should be thin.
- Use your pizza peel to launch the crust-on-parchment onto the steel and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the crust-on-parchment from the oven and flip the crust over on the parchment paper. Return it to the oven and bake for 5 minutes with the top side down.
- Remove the crust from the oven and flip it onto a new piece of parchment paper, returning the top side up.
Excerpted from No Gluten, No Problem Pizza: 75+ Recipes for Every Craving—From Thin Crust to Deep Dish, New York to Naples © Kelli Bronski and Peter Bronski, 2019. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com.
And do you want to turn your passion for wellbeing into a fulfilling career? Become a Certified Health Coach! Learn more here.