How To Make Perfect Rice, According To A Japanese Chef
I like Japanese-style cooked rice, which is why I have experimented with so many ways to cook perfect rice. Japanese people usually use a rice cooker to cook their rice. However, you can easily cook rice in a Dutch oven.
There are various ways of preparing rice, but I will introduce you to my own method. I hope you will find your own favorite style by trying several different methods, adjusting the amount of water used, and so on.
How to prepare rice:
- Put 2 cups of Japanese short-grain rice in a bowl. Fill with cold water and stir the rice gently with your hand. Drain to discard the cloudy water.
- Rub the grains gently against each other with the heel of your hand. Rinse under cold running water and drain. Continue rubbing and rinsing until the water becomes clear.
- Drain the rice in a sieve and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Put the rice in a saucepan and add the same volume of water to the pan. For a softer texture, add a little more water; for more bite, use a little less water.
- Cover the pan and turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 to 12 minutes over low heat.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and stir the rice to serve.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.