Bringing the cheese to the greens to make your kids eat them? How about bringing the greens to the cheese instead? Kids and adults love melty macaroni and cheese, yet green vegetables don’t always conjure up that same kind of comfort. This Mac and Cheese recipe incorporates nutrient-packed spinach and the savory taste of marjoram, making it extra delicious with a kick of flavor and veggies.
This recipe from The Healthy Apple is made with lactose free cheddar and mozzarella, so it’s perfect for millions of folks who cannot tolerate lactose. Can it get any better?
- 3/4 lb. elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 4 GO Veggie! Lactose Free Cheddar Slices
- 4 GO Veggie! Lactose Free Mozzarella Slices
- 2 tablespoons GO Veggie! Lactose Free Parmesan Grated Topping
Cook macaroni according to package directions.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
Add flour and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring often. Add dairy-free milk, sea salt and pepper, continue to mix and cook until mixture comes to a boil, approximately 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring often.
Add spinach, red pepper flakes, marjoram and cheeses. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often. Add in cooked macaroni; gently toss to combine.
Top with parmesan cheese.
Live the life you love — without giving up delicious cheese flavor. That’s what GO Veggie!™ is all about. Eat smart. Live happy. Get up and GO Veggie!