What To Eat For Your Heart Chakra When Going Through A Breakup
If you feel physical or energetic tension—pain, even—around your heart in the days, weeks, or months following an intense breakup, it's not just in your head. Breakups can have a direct impact on what's known as your heart chakra, which is one of seven main chakras, or energy centers, located within the body. The heart chakra is deeply tied to our relationships, both with ourselves and with others—it's where we find our true self, our self-love, and our ability to love others deeply.
So it's no surprise that when an important bond with another person is severed, it can disrupt the heart chakra in more ways than one. Depending on how "tough" the breakup is, the energy in our heart chakras may stop flowing or close, may spin in the wrong direction, or may fall out of alignment with the other chakras in our body.
How to mend your heart chakra after a breakup using food.
Luckily, food can help bring our chakras back into balance. For thousands of years, people have used food as medicine, both physically and energetically. Different kinds of foods and food groups are believed to directly affect the health of our chakras, as well as offer healing when our chakras are imbalanced or closed. Since the color of the fourth chakra is green, the foods considered best to eat for the heart center are green foods, plants, and herbs. Here are a few to try reaching for:
- Green vegetables: All leafy greens, spinach, seakale beet, chard, artichokes, asparagus, broccolini, celery, cucumbers, green capsicums (peppers), leeks, lettuce, winter melon, bitter melon, okra, watercress, green beans, broccoli, zucchinis, snow peas, green peas, kale, rocket, Asian greens, escarole, romaine, lima beans, mung beans, Bok choy, choy sum, dandelion, mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, fennel, pepitas, pistachio nuts, capers, green lentils, all forms of sprouts
- Green fruits: avocado, limes, honeydew melons, kiwi fruit, green grapes, green apples, green pears, olives
- Green superfoods: spirulina, seaweed, chlorella, chlorophyll, wheatgrass, barley greens, aloe vera, matcha, green tea
- Green herbs: parsley, coriander/cilantro, shallots, basil, green pesto, sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, mint, tarragon, scallions, peppermint, marjoram, Sweet Annie, lady’s mantle, Angelica, hops, nettle, Tulsi
- Oils: extra-virgin olive oil—cold-pressed, hemp oil, avocado oil
As these foods nourish your physical body, you'll become more aware and more connected to your heart chakra, which optimizes healing and love.
Whether you're in the middle of a breakup—or even when you're happily flying solo or partnered up—it's ideal to enjoy whole, organic food that has been grown locally with love, made with love, and served with love.