This Broccoli Quinoa Bowl Is The Perfect Meal For 2
It can be challenging to find recipes that are made to serve two. Trying to tailor them to a small serving size can lead to buying too much, overusing one ingredient, or being left with way too many leftovers. This cheesy broccoli quinoa from Christina Lane's new cookbook Dinner Just for Two is about to be a delicious solution to your problem.
This recipe features onions and broccoli, a heart-healthy ingredient that adds a bit of crunch to this nourishing bowl. If you do end up with some leftovers, Christina recommends sautéing the leftover veggies with olive oil or mixing in eggs or even adding grilled chicken. Here's to a healthy bowl that keeps on giving!
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry white quinoa
- 1½ cups chopped broccoli florets
- ¾ cup grated cheddar
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and the diced onions. Sauté for at least 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent the onions from browning on the edges. You really want to soften the onions, so lower the heat if they threaten to burn.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and mustard powder. Cook for about 1 minute before stirring in the broth and quinoa.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, lower the heat, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Quickly lift the lid and toss the broccoli on top of the quinoa, then close the lid to continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid again and stir. All of the liquid should be absorbed, and the quinoa should be cooked through—if not, cover and cook another 1 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar, scallion, and yogurt.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.