Start Your Day Off Right With This Beyoncé-Approved Breakfast Salad (Yes, Salad)
The founder of 22 Days Nutrition, New York Times best-selling author, and author of the new book The Greenprint, Marco Borges is passionate about plant-based living and helping people live their healthiest lives. Borges recently joined us on the mbg podcast to talk about the future of plant-based living and how you can start your journey. Two of Borges biggest fans are Beyoncé and Jay-Z, and after being their personal trainer for some time, he introduced them to the benefits of a vegan diet, and they were the first to try out The Greenprint.
The Greenprint, the book based on the eating plan, features 22 laws for living your healthiest life and over 60 recipes to get people started on a plant-based journey. Beyoncé has been outspoken about her love for plant-based diets and, specifically, The Greenprint in a recent social media campaign offering a chance for fans to win tickets to her and Jay-Z's concerts for life, that is if they commit to a vegan diet.
She's also all about this kale breakfast salad recipe, explained Borges: "It's the delicious balance of flavor, sweetness, and texture coupled with knowing it's loaded with nutrients that will leave you feeling accomplished before most people have started their day."
Salad for breakfast? You bet. "You're setting yourself up for success when you choose a nutrient-dense breakfast like this one," said Borges. This salad features kale, which helps support your digestion as it is high in fiber (which Borges tells us most Americans are not getting enough of) and probiotics. It is also high in iron, which promotes healthy cell functioning; vitamin K, which research suggests can protect against osteoporosis and diabetes; and vitamin C, known to be anti-aging. Many of these nutrients are sensitive to high heat, so opt for blanching the kale, which will also reduce bitterness and soften it.
As for why Beyoncé loves to start her day with this salad? "Who doesn't want to start the day with an easy win that perpetuates more great decisions?" said Borges.
Kale Breakfast Salad
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 small bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled and separated into sections
- 1 large orange, peeled and separated into sections
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until well-blended.
- Put the kale in a large bowl and pour over the dressing. Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale to soften the leaves.
- Top the kale with the citrus sections, pomegranate arils, and pumpkin seeds.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.