These Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Waffles Will Make Your Morning
Start your weekend off the right way with these crispy-on-the-outside, fluffy-on-the-inside, gluten-free sweet potato waffles. Yes, it's true, these waffles are made with nutrient-dense veggies and can even be made in under 15 minutes.
This delightful breakfast, created by James Won, author of the new cookbook 10-a-Day the Easy Way, is made with sweet potatoes, which have immune-boosting properties, and carrots, which are high in vitamin C and known to support the health of your skin and eyes.
Depending on whether you're looking for a savory or sweet treat, you can top your waffles with more veggies like avocado, tomato, and onion or opt for a sweeter touch with apples, blueberries, and kiwi.
Won recommends adding a little extra healthy fat to the waffle toppings to "significantly boost the absorption of the heart-healthy carotenes in the sweet potato." This could be olive, avocado, or coconut oil, nuts, or peanut butter.
There's nothing better than indulging in a yummy breakfast classic without having to worry about the post-breakfast food coma. These light waffles will give you the energy you need to get out the door and enjoy the day!
Sweet Potato Waffles
- olive oil, for greasing
- 250 g (9 oz) cooked sweet potato
- 150 g (5½ oz) custard powder
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp finely grated orange zest
- large pinch of salt
- 150 g (5½ oz) finely grated carrots
- Grease and preheat a waffle iron.
- Blitz together all the ingredients except the carrots in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and gently fold in the finely grated carrots.
- Spoon the batter into the waffle iron to make 4 waffles. Cook over high heat for 4 minutes on each side if using an old-school iron. If you are using a fancy electric one, these timings may vary.
- Apple, peanut butter, and blueberry
- Salmon, avocado, and boiled egg
- Kiwi, mixed berries, and yogurt
- Bacon, banana, and maple syrup
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.