Start Your Morning Off Right With This Plant-Based Protein-Packed Sweet Tartine
The concept of a “perfect morning routine” looks different for everyone. For some, it means easing into the day with a 10-minute meditation and a good book. For others, it means springing out of bed and immediately hitting the pavement for a pre-sunrise road run. But regardless of how you define “perfect”, one thing is certain — starting your day with a nourishing, plant-based protein-packed breakfast is a surefire way to fuel you for whatever the day throws your way.
And while there may be plenty of ways to get your protein fix in before work, we’re firm believers that breakfast is the perfect opportunity to have a little fun with our food. So we teamed up with Van’s Foods to show you why the recipe for a perfect morning routine calls for a dash of joy, a pinch of delight, and a heaping helping of waffles. Save the hard-boiled egg whites for another day, and make this plant-based, keto-friendly, Sweet Morning Protein Tartine instead. A healthy breakfast (or mid-day snack) has never felt so sweet.
Recipe: Sweet Morning Protein Tartine
● (2) tablespoons almond butter
● (1) cup ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
● (1) teaspoon lemon juice
● (¼) teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
● (½) cup vanilla yogurt
● Basil garnish- optional
- Toast waffles in a toaster or under the broiler.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl place sliced strawberries, lemon juice, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using a fork mash the strawberries to a chunky paste.
- Fold in yogurt and stir to combine.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of almond butter over each waffle.
- Top with strawberry and yogurt topping and serve right away. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.
Matt Scheetz is a brand strategist at mindbodygreen. He’s a NASM-certified personal trainer, so he’s usually the person everyone comes to when they need a new workout routine. He’s usually at the gym before the sun rises, which makes sense since his favorite hobby is eating things that make it necessary to be at the gym before the sun rises.