Power Up Your Day With A Dragonfruit Breakfast Bowl
Pitaya, with its vibrant fuschia color and superstar lineup of antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, and B vitamins, makes an amazing blended base for a breakfast bowl as nourishing as it is beautiful.
Discovered in Central and Southern America and brought to Southeast Asia (where it became known as dragonfruit), this exotic cactus fruit has a mild, delicate flavor with pear-like notes, providing the perfect base to add in other flavors and superfoods. Try this tropical combo with vitamin C-laden pineapple and coconut milk rich in healthy fatty acids, or experiment by adding other fruits and vegetables!
Pitaya Breakfast Bowl
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 pitaya (dragonfruit) frozen packet
- 1/3 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/3 cup of canned coconut milk (chilled in fridge for 20 minutes)
- 3 Medjool dates
- 1 cup of ice (more to make it thicker)
1. Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and the fruit and ice chunks are gone. Definitely feel free to swap out any of the ingredients in the recipe above for other fruits and veggies, but be sure to include ice or a frozen banana to ensure that your base is thick and delicious.
2. Once you’ve created your smoothie base, pour it into a bowl (if your base is extra thick, you may need to ease it out of the blender with a spatula). Once your smoothie is in your bowl of choice, load it up with your favorite toppings like fresh fruit, cacao nibs, seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, dried fruit, or bee pollen. Once your smoothie has toppings, dig in and power up!
Photo courtesy of Quinn Forrer
Sophie Jaffe is a certified raw-food nutritionist and raw-food chef. She's a member of the Yoga Alliance as an advanced teacher and is certified by the National Academy of Sports Medicine as a personal trainer.
After managing a raw foods store in Hollywood that specialized in creating group cleanses, she became dissatisfied with the "one-size-fits-all" model of detox regimens and branched off to create her own company, Philosophie.
Since then, she has found great success and gotten amazing results in providing personalized detox cleanses to a wide variety of clients, including George Clooney, Stacy Keibler, Gerard Butler, and Billy Corgan.
She has created several Superfood Products for use in super-charging every meal and two convenient, effective Quick Cleanses that can be delivered anywhere and utilized easily.