This Zesty Pear Ginger Smoothie Will Heal Your Gut & Energize Your Day
With the warmer weather rolling in, there's nothing better than a light and refreshing smoothie—with bonus points for being easy to throw together.
This zesty pear and ginger smoothie from Pescan: A Feel Good Cookbook includes some seriously gut-healing ingredients. The recipe, developed by authors Abbie Cornish and Jacqueline King Schiller, harnesses the fiber-packed benefits of pear and digestion-friendly qualities of ginger to keep your gut microbiome healthy.
"It's also great before or after a workout, as it provides you with the kick you need for peak performance and to maintain steady energy levels," says Cornish.
Pear Ginger Citrus Smoothie
Serves two to three
- 1 small avocado (or 1⁄2 large avocado)
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented, with seeds removed
- 1 Anjou, Bosc, or Asian pear, cut into wedges, with core and stem removed
- 2 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Creamy Vanilla Cashew Milk, or any vanilla-flavored nondairy milk
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews, preferably soaked for 2 to 4 hours, drained, and rinsed
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled (minced if not using a high-speed blender)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup filtered water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender and add the oranges, pear, kale, lettuce, milk, cashews, ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, and water.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute in a high-speed blender or 2 minutes in a regular blender.
- Add the ice cubes to the smoothie and blend briefly again. If the smoothie is too thick, add a bit more water and blend for a few seconds more, until it’s your desired consistency. Pour into glasses and serve.
And are you ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.