This Zesty Pear Ginger Smoothie Will Heal Your Gut & Energize Your Day
With the warmer weather rolling in, there's nothing better than a light and refreshing smoothie—with bonus points for being easy to throw together.
This zesty pear and ginger smoothie from Pescan: A Feel Good Cookbook includes some seriously gut-healing ingredients. The recipe, developed by authors Abbie Cornish and Jacqueline King Schiller, harnesses the fiber-packed benefits of pear and digestion-friendly qualities of ginger to keep your gut microbiome healthy.
"It's also great before or after a workout, as it provides you with the kick you need for peak performance and to maintain steady energy levels," says Cornish.
Pear Ginger Citrus Smoothie
Serves two to three
- 1 small avocado (or 1⁄2 large avocado)
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented, with seeds removed
- 1 Anjou, Bosc, or Asian pear, cut into wedges, with core and stem removed
- 2 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Creamy Vanilla Cashew Milk, or any vanilla-flavored nondairy milk
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews, preferably soaked for 2 to 4 hours, drained, and rinsed
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled (minced if not using a high-speed blender)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup filtered water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender and add the oranges, pear, kale, lettuce, milk, cashews, ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, and water.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute in a high-speed blender or 2 minutes in a regular blender.
- Add the ice cubes to the smoothie and blend briefly again. If the smoothie is too thick, add a bit more water and blend for a few seconds more, until it’s your desired consistency. Pour into glasses and serve.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.