Mangoes & Lentils Are The Perfect Pair In This Fresh Summer Salad
You might wonder what lentils are doing in a salad with mangoes, but let me tell you that I was just as surprised when I tried this at a friend's house. She often makes it in the summer, when mangoes are in season, and it's quickly become one of my favorites too.
Don't worry if you can't find Indian green mangoes—you can use ordinary hard, unripe mangoes from the supermarket instead.
Lentil and Mango Salad
For the salad
- 100 g split moong dal
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 raw green or unripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
For the tadka
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Soak the moong dal in a bowl of cold water for 3 to 4 hours, then drain thoroughly. Return to the bowl with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- To make the tadka, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they start to sizzle, remove the pan from the heat and add the chili flakes and salt. Pour this over the salad.
- Drizzle the salad with the lemon juice, toss it all well, and serve.
- This will last in the fridge for a couple of days.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.