You Need To Try This Easy, Healthy Bread (With Hormone-Balancing Ingredients!)
When my sister-in-law had a baby, I made her this bread to have on hand during her marathon nursing sessions and froze it in slices that were easy to reheat. This bread is so good for women’s hormonal health, from the flaxseed meal (which has been shown in studies to help with PCOS and hormone balance) to the goji berries (which have been shown to regulate hormone levels). There’s no kneading or complex fermentation process here, but it comes out like a real loaf of bread. It also has a subtle sweetness and tons of plant-based protein and healthy fat to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day.
Hormone-Balancing Bread Recipe
Makes 1 loaf
- Oil, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar or date sugar
- 1¼ cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a standard 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flax meal, flour, oats, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, goji berries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and apricots.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the butter, eggs, coconut sugar, yogurt, milk, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and let cool. Wrap in foil or a clean dishtowel. This will keep on the counter for a day or two; you can also slice it and freeze to enjoy later.
Based on excerpts from Thin From Within by Robyn Youkilis, with the permission of Kyle Books. Copyright © 2018.
Reset Your Gut
Sign up for our FREE doctor-approved gut health guide featuring shopping lists, recipes, and tips
Robyn Youkilis is an AADP Certified Health Coach, author, speaker, and leading expert in holistic digestive health. For nearly a decade, Robyn has helped clients shed both physical and emotional weight with her straightforward yet supportive coaching style, Your Healthiest You. She is the author of the best selling books, Go with Your Gut and Thin From Within - The Go with Your Gut Way to Lose Weight, and has been featured by The Cooking Channel, The View, The Today Show, The Wall Street Journal and more.
Robyn currently lives in New York City and Los Angeles with her husband and their daughter. She has been a member of the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) for nearly a decade and enjoys traveling, music festivals and eating dessert at fancy restaurants (one bite at a time, that is!).
Join the #YourHealthiestYou community at www.RobynYoukilis.com.